This past Friday night was the first time I was invited to speak at a natural hair event and I was soo honored! It was “A Night of Natural Hair and Trade” held by Calling All Daughters. And it was the greatesttt experience. Not only was I apart of an awesome panel with a great host, but the women who came were awesome too! We all exchanged great tips and information and I even learned some new things!! We also broke out into groups by hair type where I share some one-on-one advice and answered questions! So for those of you who couldn’t make it–you missed out! LOL jk…kinda ;) buttttt I am going to share some of the things we spoke about that will give you a little idea of the night– so don’t be too upset! (Thanks to Rose for helping me with the notes!!!)
One of the moments of the night I thought was super informative was when Myriam talked about oils. She gave us a lot of info on many, but the ones Rose (the host) and I jotted down are:
- Almond Oil- Good for moisture
- Coconut Oil- Good for moisture, growth
- Rosemary- Great for growth too
- Castor Oil- Great for moisture, sealing, and a BIG one for growth! It can be diluted with coconut oil.It can also act as a gel, how cool!?
- Lavender- This is an everything oil! Super great for your hair and you can even use it on your skin to get rid of scars (dilute this in water)
- Grape Seed Oil- It is an awesome heat protectant! Which I loveee
You can go to www.edensgarden.com to get them for a good price!
Now here is the Q&A section:
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE PROTECTIVE STYLE?
Answered by Jacobi
- “Buns”–can use Marley Hair
- She talked about how important it is to take care of your hair while wearing sew-ins/weaves. Don’t neglect your real hair just because it is braided up! Clean your scalp and moisturize it. Tea tree oil is also great because it kills bacteria.
HOW DOES HEALTH AFFECT YOUR HAIR?
Answered by me
- Eating healthy gives you more ‘beauty energy’ to go towards growing and strengthing you hair instead of digesting junky foods
- Drink lots of water and eat tons of veggies
- Try my green smoothie! It is packed with loads of enzymes and minerals that will help you grow your hair!
HOW TO PROPERLY STRAIGHTEN HAIR?
- Don’t go to the Dominicans (common mistake)
- Jacobi uses curl formers and then puts a flat iron through only once
- Do not flat iron unwashed hair and do not re-flat iron when it gets frizzy. The natural oils in your hair cause it hair to get “fried” by the heat! Crazy right? I never even knew that–but now it makes sense!
HOW DO YOU GROW YOUR HAIR?
- “Hair, Skin, & Nails” Vitamin/Biotin
- Protective styling
- Low Manipluation
- Not too many trims
HOW TO PROPERLY WASH HAIR?
- “Finger detangling” — less shedding and breakage
- Wash in sections
- Be patient
- Apple cider vinegar– great cleanser. Mix with 75% water, 25% ACV
- Witch hazel cleanses scalp (& can be used for other purposes)
OTHER TIPS INCLUDED:
- Being stress free to help growth
- Getting enough sleep
- Working out & massaging scalp to stimulate growth
So that’s all I have for you guys! Sorry I couldn’t get everything from the night but thankfullyyy Calling All Daughters will be having another “Night of Natural Hair and Trade” woo hoo!! I’ll let you know when I get the date!
Here are the host and other panelist! Lovee them! Follow them on IG! @mkcharles, @chocolarose, @mizzcobi, and @smirm who I didn’t get a pic with :(. <3
Until next time,